February 23, 2010

Brussel Sprouts w/Proscuitto


What is the perfect side dish to so many chicken dishes, spaghetti or steak? Or even a great complement to mashed potatoes? Brussel sprouts spruced up with some yummy crunchy bits of proscuitto.


Side note. Since I mentioned mashed potatoes, I have to talk about a recent experience of some of the best I've had in quite a long time. Last Sunday was my cousin's wedding and for the dress rehearsal dinner, we had these amazing potatoes that I can hardly explain. It was creamy but thick at the same time. Had a significant substance to them but no lumps. No apparent herbs but incorporated a type of cheese that I can't exactly pinpoint.  This was one of those moments where you immediately start comparing any future mash potatoes tastings to that one little pile of yummy goodiness on your plate. Agh.

I digress. Back to brussel sprouts. I didn't always like to eat these little suckers. It hasn't been until the past few years where I realized that simply cooking brussel sprouts with a little salt, pepper and olive oil in the oven was so delicious. And healthy! This is a quick side dish to complement rice or meat. Its a little salty and lightly crunchy due to the proscuitto. Yum!

Brussel Sprouts with Proscuitto
Serves 4-6
1-1.5 lbs brussel sprouts
4 slices proscuitto
pinch of garlic salt
S&P

1. Thoroughly clean the brussel sprouts and slice them into strips. Slice the proscuitto into small strips (I like to roll a slice of proscuitto into a log and then slice)
2. Heat pan with a little bit of olive oil and quickly cook the proscuitto. Add in the brussel sprouts and let it cook for a little while longer. Add a pinch of garlic salt and pepper. Take a quick taste check and if needed, add some salt. Serve while still hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment