April 02, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower and Onion Tart

You may have noticed my previous posts have consisted more of restaurant reviews rather than recipes.  After some work and then have a broken fridge for over a week, I was SO happy to be able to eat in.  I have quite a few meals I've cooked up this past week so I'm going to do my best to get posted. 

Now, on to the tart!  Surprisingly, I've never made a savory tart before.  My tart experiences have consisted of sweet apples, berries and almond!  This recipe is from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen, and the roasted cauliflower basically called my name.  I love roasted cauliflower. Why? It's simple, healthy, fast and delicious!  I secretly jumped for joy when I realized that I had too much roasted cauliflower to put in my tart and meant that I could have something to munch on while the tart baked. Hooray!

I didn't have the ingredients to make my own tart but I think the store bought pie dough was good enough.  I would not pre-bake the tart (like I did) as I think the crust was too overcooked by the time it was done.

Also, for the ingredients, I like to let them sit out for an hour at least so they soften and get to room temperature - like the marscapone cheese, whipping cream, eggs and cheese.

Roasted Cauliflower and Onion Tart
Serves 6

Click here for the ingredients since I didn't do anything different than omit the Guyere cheese.

1.  Slice up the onions and put some olive oil in the pan.  Let the onions cook on medium-low heat and let it cook for roughly 20-25 minutes until it's all golden like the below picture.   
2. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Wash and break up a small head of cauliflower.  Pat dry and lay out on a sheet pan.  Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. I like to wear gloves when tossing so my hands do have a slimy texture afterwards. Cook for 15-20 minutes (flip half way through) until they are nicely roasted like the below picture.  (Note, use this same process for when you simply want to make roasted veggies for dinner.)
3. Mix together the heavy cream, marscapone cheese and eggs.  Add a dash of pepper.  Mix thoroughly (it will be a tad chunky) and then add in the cheese.  I omitted the Guyere cheese per SK's recipe.   
5. Put the pie crust into a 9-in tart pan or a normal pan with a removable bottom.  In this recipe, I pre-cooked the crust but I'd advise you not to since it was a tad overcooked in my opinion.  Spread dijon mustard on the bottom and then layer the onions over that. 
6. Add in the roasted cauliflower on top.  If you were lucky like me, there were leftovers that I was able to eat while this sucker was cooking! :)
7. Next, pour the egg and cream mixture on top.  It fix just perfectly :) 
8. Cook for 40 minutes until it's firm to the touch and looks like the below.  Be careful and don't cut into it right away.  Let it cool for a good 10 minutes.  Slice like pie and serve with any other side of veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment