June 28, 2010

What's the Chip without the Guacamole?

If you're from Texas, you best love guacamole.  If you don't, I don't know you.  Whether it's served with fajitas, toppings on enchiladas, part of a taco salad, one of the layers in 7 layer dip or as a dip on its own, you'll notice that it comes served in a variety of ways.  Smooth, chunky, lots of tomatoes and onions incorporated or just plain.  Me? Just give me a bag of chips and the dip and I'm one happy lady.

My colleague, Sarah Bodenman "Bodie," is an excellent cook and we tend to share recipes or simply talk food.  In fact, this morning, she gave me a recipe for a Peach Shortcake with Vanilla Whipped Cream dessert!  The torture of having to read the recipe, realize it's only 9:00 am and yet you still desperately want to eat dessert before breakfast or lunch. 

Sigh.

Bodie shared this recipe with me last year, and the first time I made it, it was a major hit.  I've added/omitted a few things just based on my preference, but I haven't used another recipe since. Read the steps first before you buy the ingredients.  I've put in comments on what Bodie's recipe calls for vs. what I've changed/omitted so you can make it based on what you like!  For instance, you may love red onions and green onion while I do not (I use shallots intead).  I also use double the avocados and tomatoes so the recipe below makes a lot more.

You will be hard pressed to find leftovers after two days.  If you make this recipe, let me know if you change it up. I'm always looking for new ways!

The Best Guacamole Your Chips Will Ever Meet, Seriously
Adpated from Bodie's recipe

5 cloves of garlic
2 large jalapenos
2 large roma tomatoes
Big bunch of cilantro (tips/leaves only)
6-7 small/medium ripe Haas avocados
2 large shallots (you can substitute w/1/2 of an onion if you don't like shallots)
1 orange (zest and juice)
2 lemons (zest and juice)
Olive oil
S&P
Dash of hot sauce

1.  Be prepared for lots of chopping.  If you do not have a food processor, start chopping the garlic cloves, jalapenos, one bunch of cilantro, shallots and one tomato.  I like to roughly cut them into smaller pieces and them put them all together on the board and chop them together.  For the tomato, I cut in half, squeeze the juice into the bowl where you'll be making the guac. so you only chop the meat.  Halfway through chopping the mixture, I add in a tsp of salt and then continue chopping.  You want the mixture to be a pesto-like consistency and once done, I push this mixture to the side of my cutting board.
**Bodie calls for only 1/2 a roma tomato. I love tomatoes and always like to add more.  Also, she uses 1 jalapeno instead of 2 - again, it's all up to preference and how much of a kick you would like.  I added in shallots in this step. Bodie uses a red onion and does not incorporate the onion until later.  Personally, I dislike the taste of raw onions but find that using two shallots adds that necessary flavor without being as overpowering as an onion.  Again, what makes this recipe so great is that you can easily adjust to what you like!
2. Peel and core all the avocados. Take 1/3 of the avocado halves and mush them in the same bowl with the tomato juice you squeezed out.  The other halves, chop up into cubes - whichever size you like to eat with your chips. 
**Bodie uses about 3-4 avocados.  I tend to make a bigger pot having a Ross and a mother who loves avocados =)
3. Chop up the other tomato into cubes similar in size to the avocado.
**Bodie puts in the other 1/2 of a roma tomato here.

4. Add the pesto mix to the mushed avocados and mix to incorporate. You can start by adding 1/2 to 3/4 but I end up using the entire mixture.
5. Fold in the cubed avocados and tomatoes. Add in some chopped cilantro here too if you like the taste, which obviously I do.
**Bodie adds in the chopped red onion as well as chopped green onions (light green/white parts only).
6. Add in the zest of the orange and one lemon.  Then squeeze in the juice of the orange and lemon.  I taste and then almost always squeeze the other lemon as well, but you should taste and add to your preference. 
**Bodie does not add in the zest (I have an odd fascination with zest and whenever I can, I find myself automatically adding it) and uses juice from 1/2 an orange and 1 lemon.

7. Add in a good swirl of olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt.  Be careful with the salt.  Add, taste and then add more if you need to.  Also, if you know what chips you are serving with, taste the guacamole with the chips if they are salted.  I like to add in a few dash of hot sauce here too. :) 
8. While it will be hard to resist, I like to cover and let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour. This really lets the flavors of the cilantro, jalapeno, shallots and juices mesh. 

2 comments:

  1. I love avacado & hate onion too but have used this recipe many times myself (the orginal) I just use my mandoline to slice the red onion very thin then chop it. You get just the flavor w/out the onion crunch/over powering flavor. Love the fresh cilantro taste and the chunkieness! YUM.
    (I'm Jessica's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AnnMarie - I just realized you left a comment! Hooray, I'm glad you read this blog. :) I'm a tad afraid of mandolines - fear of slicing off a finger or two!

    ReplyDelete