August 09, 2010

Home Comfort: Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Wow, so sorry for the lack of posts in over a month.  Had a very busy month and found I barely cooked full meals, which meant I had boiled dumplings, heated totinos pizzas or mac and cheese. 

Back to this post.  I had started this post a while ago and never had time to finish it. It's hot in Texas so the thought of soup isn't incredibly appealing but after reading Pioneer Woman's post of one of her favorite recipes, cauliflower soup, I was willing to reconsider.  Granted, I made this dish about a  month ago when we did not have the 100 degree weather.... I love cauliflower but not in soup - my go to recipe for cauliflower is to simply roast it in the oven with garlic, olive oil and S&P.  This soup was hearty - definitely not healthy with the cream - and a nice change from the roasted veggies.  Hooray for cream! 

As for the recipe, I changed it quite a bit.  Cut down on the butter significantly and omitted the entire step for the roux.  I just added the cream directly into the pot with the stock.  And, I added a lot more veggies and cut down the milk and stock.  I added in some additional herbs and omitted the parsley.  Also, I have to admit that this makes a ton of soup (even after I cut down on the stock) and while I hate throwing away left-overs, I found it hard to eat night after night. After the third night of having some for lunch or dinner each day, I just had to say, no more!

Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

2 tbspn butter
1 onion, chopped
3 medium sized carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cauliflower head, cut into small bunches
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
Pinch of dried thyme
Pinch of dried oregano
3 bay leaves

1. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions until they become transparent on medium heat.  Add the carrots and celery.  I let it cook for a good 5 minutes.  I add in the garlic here and let it quickly cook until you can slightly smell it. 
2. Next, add in the cauliflower - don't worry, your pot will be overwhelmed but they will cook down. Cook for 15 minutes covered on low heat.
3. Bring up the heat again and pour in the chicken stock and cream.  Let it boil and then reduce to low heat again.  Add in the dried oregano, thyme and bay leaves.  Let it simmer and thicken for about 15-20 minutes.  Taste and add S&P as necessary - or more dried herbs as needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment