April 25, 2012

Strawberry Field of Dreams with Sabayon

Strawberry season is in flux and as I trial variations of strawberry hand pies with pre-made puff pastry to attempting pastry dough from scratch, here's a simple strawberry recipe to satisfy a late night dessert craving until I find a presentable hand pie recipe to share. 

I've tried a few version of sabayon and of course, the version with a dash of champagne/moscato or sweet marsala is best, but those are ingredients I don't normally have in my pantry or don't want to open a new bottle of wine just to use a few dashes. For those nights where you simply crave a good, refreshing dessert on a whim, this is it. Takes about 10 minutes to prepare. 

Ingredients
Strawberries (as much as you want/don't want)
2 egg yolks
1/8 cup of sugar
Juice from 1/2 of lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream

1. Wash and slice the strawberries to the size of your liking. Place in individual serving bowls. Seriously, any bowl will work but I like to put these in clear glass so I can watch the sabayon slowly seep down the sides to cover each of the strawberries before I happily consume the entire contents. It's the little things that make you smile each day, right?
2. Simmer about a cup of water in a pot and with a bowl large enough to put on top without touching the water, put the egg yolks and sugar. You can whisk by hand but I brought out my hand mixer and beat the egg/sugar mixture until creamy/silky and is a pale yellow color. Take off heat. With the same hand mixer and in another bowl, beat the heavy cream until it turns into whipped cream.

*Variation. If you do happen to have moscato or champagne around, mix the sugar with the wine first and then add the egg yolk before putting over the double boiler.
3. Gently fold the two together. Add in the squeeze of lemon juice. Dollop a few spoonfuls over the strawberries. Eat it right away!

*Variation. You can also add in a dash of vanilla extract but I think it's too overpowering, if you can believe it. I would, though, recommend adding a bit of lemon zest to up that flavor a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment