March 20, 2010

Tomato & Egg

This may look a little perplexing but this was one of my favorite side dishes growing up.  It's so simple and when you eat it with a hot bowl of rice, so good!  My mom has made this dish since we were itty bitty.  I know the combination is a little odd but for as much reason why wendy's frosties and french fries or sea salt and chocolate go so well together, cooked eggs and tomatoes do too.  These are best when the tomatoes are nice and juicy - not the firm ones.  What makes this dish so good is when the tomato juices ooze out while cooking and then mix with the eggs.  Also, green scallions make this much tastier and add a nice hit of color to the dish as well.

Tomato & Eggs
recipe from my mom

2 large tomatoes, cubed
4 large eggs
1 green scallion, chopped - white and green parts (I didn't have when I made but definitely add it if you have)
Sugar
Salt

1. Clean tomatoes and cut into small cube sizes.  Heat pan with a little bit of oil.  Once hot, add in the tomatoes including all the tomato juice.  Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the tomatoes.  Let it cook down until they are soft and start sizzling.  Sprinkle with a tad of salt. 
2. Beat the eggs together - well.  Then when the tomatoes are ready, pour the eggs into the pan.  Let it sit to cook for about 30 seconds and then lightly scramble the eggs with the tomatoes.  I take my spatula and move it from the outside in and make a J.  When the eggs are almost cooked, turn off the heat and add in the chopped scallions.  Lightly incorporate and then serve!  I love this with hot rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment