May 23, 2010

Banana Nut Loaf

My Auntie Chien is a killer cook. No really, I kid not. She makes spectacular dishes and everytime there is a family reunion, she either brings her homecooked goodies or cooks for us. I even joke that she needs to host a family cooking weekend where we go to visit her in L.A. and she teaches us all how to cook some of her delicious recipes. Well, I'm actually not joking. So, Auntie if you are reading, I'm ready for a cooking weekend whenever you are. =)

I also have to note that not only is she a spectacular cook, she's an amazing florists. For the past few family weddings, she's handled the arrangements of all the flowers from wedding ceremony arrangements, to bride and bridesmaid bouquets, flower girls and table settings. She's amazing!

She shared three recipes including this banana nut bread and it definitely wasn't a disappointment. Delicious. I especially love the crispy, sweet topping on this dessert or breakfast, in my case. I always buy a bunch of green bananas when I go on my weekly grocery store trip (I love raw, hard bananas versus the ripe bananas where they get a tad too mushy and too sweet), and I almost always end up with one or two left that are a tad overripe. Perfect time to make Auntie's recipe!

Banana Nut Loaf w/Streusel Topping
Recipe from Auntie Chien
Makes 2 loaves

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup finely copped walnuts
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (you can add less but I love the flavor of cinnamon and almost always double the recipe)
1 tbsp butter

1. In a food processor, add all ingredients together so it's a crumbly mixture. Set aside.

Banana Loaf
2 cups chopped walnuts (You can use pecans too)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cup flour (I used cake flour)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, cold (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cup bananas mashed (4-5 very ripe bananas)
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1 half can of pineapple cubes
1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make sure your butter is very cold and quickly cut into cubes. In the mixer, add the butter, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until nice and crumbly.

3. Add the mashed bananas and nuts. Give it a few seconds to mix making sure not to overmix!

4. Measure milk in a measuring cup then crack in the eggs. Give it a quick mix and then add to the mixer. Let it mix for about 30 seconds then add in the pineapple and raisins. 

5. Spray and flour two loaf pans. Pour mixture evenly into the two pans and then sprinkle the streusel topping that you made earlier on top.  
6. Cook for 45 minutes until a toothpick (or in my case a chopstick) comes out cleanly.

No comments:

Post a Comment