February 21, 2011

Smoked Salmon on Puff Pastry

For the potluck I hosted for Twinkie and the bridesmaids, I made a super quick appetizer.  I recently discovered puff pastry and I've seen the Barefoot Contessa use it often, claiming you can simply buy it in the grocery store rather than spend the time to make it fresh.  The frozen stuff is good enough!  For some ridiculous reason, I imagined the puff pastry to live with the frozen pie crust section of the grocery stores, and since I couldn't find it there, I figured my store didn't carry.  It wasn't until I was strolling along the frozen food section near the frozen veggetables and frozen whole pies that I found it.  Ugh. I can't tell you how annoyed I was with myself.  I instantly felt like that lame guy that won't ask for directions.  Why didn't I just ask someone earlier?  Anyways, puff pastry is a freezer staple now. 

This is a simple recipe that is easy to put together.  I love smoked salmon but instead of just serving it plain, I wanted to put them on cooked mini pastry to give it a little more substance without taking away from the great flavor of the fish. 

Smoked Salmon on Puff Pastry
1 pkg smoked salmon
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
capers
extra virgin olive oil
4 large spoonfuls of creme fraiche
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1/2 small orange (juice only)

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out puff pastry and cut into small rounds or triangles, whichever you prefer.  With a fork, poke holes throughout each piece.  Put cut-outs on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Put another sheet of parchment paper on top and another baking sheet on top.  This is so the puff pastrys cook but don't rise significantly.  Bake for 10 minutes.
2. Once the puff pastry is done, let it sit and cool to room temp.  Take the creme fraiche and quickly whisk so it's smooth.  Add zest and juice of one lemon and half of a small orange.  Add some S&P and mix well.  Set aside. 

3. Assembly time! Take a puff pastry and pile on some good smoked salmon. I like to spray with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkly with S&P.  Put a small dollop of the creme fraiche mixture on top and then top off with a few capers and small squeeze of lemon juice.  I also like to sprinkle a little of the caper juice for a little extra acidity.  Serve immediately!

1 comment: